Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Safari On Yosemite Doesn't Deliver For Me

For many days now, I've been noticing a lack of performance from Safari on my MBP. Firefox, however, running in parallel, delivers the same websites flawlessly. I've only got one extension on both browsers -- WOT -- so that could not be the issue. Both browsers are running in Private Browsing mode.

To illustrate, I visited Apple's own discussions forum, where I've had the most frustrations so far with Safari. In the first screenshot, you'll notice that a user has marked one suggestion as a solution to her original query. When a user does this, Apple usually highlights the relevant post with a green border. This doesn't happen on Safari, whereas it works flawlessly on Firefox.

Another issue I have had with Safari in Apple's discussions forum is the "View More" link at the bottom of each page. It just hops me back to the beginning of the same page, because of the link being (in my opinion) incorrectly 'hashed.' As you can see in this composite screenshot, the link works as it should on Firefox.

In Firefox, too, the way the discussions forum is presented is different from its presentation on Safari.

Hopefully, as I write this post, my frustrations are being answered by Apple, who (my Notification area told me) have just a little while ago released an update to Safari. A visit to the App Store confirms the update, which aims to fix issues with history sync across devices, password autofill, improves graphic performance on Retina displays and allows import of usernames and passwords from Firefox.

Although, I lost no time in installing it, unfortunately, my Safari worries are not yet over. I visited the same discussions forum, only to find the same glitches occurring.

Only time may reveal a reason behind the different functioning of the ostensible 'same' webpages on two different browsers.

No comments: