Wednesday, September 17, 2014

iOS 8 at Last!

Well, here are my initial baby-steps into the latest iOS from Apple. I couldn't wait to write down what I learned so far...

Notifications: I can quickly respond to a notification by sliding it up to dismiss or pulling it down to take action. I can thus immediately reply to any iMessage notification. Cool!

Mail: I can swipe a message left to Flag it, Trash it, and More. By swiping it to the right, I can toggle its Read/Unread status. Options can be changed in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options. Also, when I'm looking forward to a response to my email, I can tap the More option, and one of the sub-options there is a new "Notify Me." I've done this and am now waiting to see the result.

An addition to Siri: If I ask Siri to identify the song playing on my stereo or anywhere else, she can now do so easily and with some amount of accuracy. I guess I have to thank Shazam for this?

Selfies: Given the world's apparent addition to selfies, Apple now allows a proper selfie with the addition of a timer shutter button within the Camera App.

Favorites: With a double-click the Home button, I now get quicker access to my favorite or recent contacts. I like this one the best as it saves me many intervening steps to call the people I talk to frequently.

Will post more when I've explored this great iOS release more completely.

All the above and more are, as usual, better laid out at http://tips.apple.com/en-us/ios/iphone

PS: Forgot to mention that I've been able to do all this on my old iPhone 4s (contrary to many doom-sayers' predictions) AND my old iPad 2! Also, the new iOS 8 was installed "Over The Air" on both iDevices. Had no need to look at my backup after all!

No comments: