Sunday, October 19, 2014

Expectations, expectations ...

Hooray! It's Monday, October 20 and we can all look forward to new announcements, updates and upgrades from Apple! Oh, wait ... it's not yet October 20 in Australia and other parts of the world. This means those of us who are not in Cupertino will have to wait a few hours shy of 24 hours more (remember, Apple has not yet officially specified what time it will give us this release) before we can actually see what's what with -- for example -- iOS 8.1, Apple Pay, Handoff, etc...

Many sites are talking about people expecting (amongst other things) the return of the well-known (and liked) "Camera Roll". Another thing users are looking forward to is "Instant Hotspot" which, of course, in order to be turned on, requires a Mac running the recently released Yosemite.

Mail "Read" Count Not Updated on my iPhone 4S
All the above may be very well and great to have, no doubt. But what I, personally, am looking forward to with the expected release of iOS 8.1 are just two things:
  1. Improved battery life ... ever since iOS 8, battery performance has appeared to be not as good as before, possibly because of the new features which -- in order to be effective -- require to run themselves in the background. I don't know.
  2. Mail "Read" count to work again ... this has stopped working properly for me since iOS 8. Not all the time, mind you. It just happens on and off and I can't quite figure out why, or when it happens. No set pattern to its behavior and -- although not a big deal, it bugs me to have to remember that I do NOT have unread mail.
 
Those are my expectations ... for now. While I have earlier (with one of the other iOS releases) posted my battery issues on the Apple Forums, I have not done so regarding the Mail count. A search of the Forums reveal that similar issues have been around for quite some time, as this thread will reveal.

Hopefully Apple will be addressing these issues with the release of iOS 8.1. 
 

No comments: