Monday, October 13, 2014

Windows 10 Tech Preview on my MacBook!


This morning I read a very informative post on Macworld which, in a nutshell, details how to install Windows 10 Technical Preview on a Mac. I was intrigued by this for, as you may recall, I'd earlier posted here that I was unable to install it on a laptop PC running Windows 7. The writer details two methods -- one using Apple’s built-in Boot Camp software and the other (safer) method as a virtual machine inside an OS X program.
 

I decided to give it a shot on my old, trust, Macbook 2008 (with only 4GB RAM in total) and opted for the (safer) method of VirtualBox from Oracle.

I took a huge risk and did not back up my Mac at all. Even though Windows 10 is reported to be experimental software, I just didn't want to take the time (just bone lazy, I guess.)

To cut a long story short, my experience too (as with the Macworld poster,) was issue-free. I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on my early 2008 MacBook with just 4GB of RAM. I also only allocated a single paltry GB to VirtualBox for the Preview. Because of this probably, it took a long time to install (nearly 45 minutes -- with the last "Almost ready" screen lasting for 8 minutes.) Nevertheless, after verifying my email address, it started and ran understandably jerkily but good enough for me to test. (I was interested, though, to see that the "Welcome" link on my desktop worked quite quickly.)

I hope this exercise doesn't do anything dreadful to my old Macbook, as I've gotten quite fond of it over the years (it's my only Mac!) and wouldn't like to send it to that great Macyard in the sky anytime soon.


No comments: