Monday, October 27, 2014

iCloud Drive

I have been quite happy with iCloud's handling of my stuff, although up till now, I could only, for example, access Pages files on my iCloud -- or on my Mac -- either from the Pages app on my Mac or from within iCloud on the web. Thus I thought I'd take a look at iCloud Drive, which offered me more file-storing (and, one hoped file-sharing) options.

In my Finder, I'd earlier noticed a new "iCloud Drive" entry, but had left it alone till now, not being quite sure whether I'd need to use it or not. That's why you'll see no entries yet in the screenshot alongside.

Composite Screenshot
From the composite screenshot here, you will also see that quite a number of apps can now store documents and data in iCloud Drive. (I've only selected a few to try out.)

In an excellent post by Macworld, I found quite a bit of information, including the assurance that "... where apps have been updated with iCloud Drive in mind the app’s name will appear under the iCloud heading in Open and Save dialog boxes. (If you’re using an app that hasn’t been updated for iCloud Drive its files will be stored, by default, at the top level of iCloud Drive, though you can create your own folders for them.)"

According to Macworld, "iCloud Drive lets you move files between your Mac and the cloud." The first method they suggest is to move the file in the Finder, where you'll get a warning (if you move it from your iCloud Drive to your Mac) that it will be deleted from your iCloud Drive. The second method suggested (to move it between your Mac and iCloud Drive) is to "...choose File > Move To, and then select a location." You won't get a warning in this case.

Following Macworld's instructions, I can confirm that I was able to access a file I had earlier created in TextEdit using Pages on both my Mac and iCloud Drive where I'd moved it by choosing "Move" from the Pages File Menu.

You can also treat iCloud Drive as any other folder -- copying, pasting files and creating folders using standard keystrokes or with your mouse.

Having saved (or moved, in my case) your file to your iCloud Drive, you can now share it with others. On your Mac, click on iCloud Drive, select the file, and then click on Share.

I haven't yet been able to use iCloud Drive on my iOS devices, as I haven't set it up yet on them. I should hopefully explore the pros and cons of doing this before I actually take the final step. My only concern is that of storage space. Right now I get enough free storage space from Microsoft's OneDrive, which already works reasonably well across quite a few platforms.

Also, Microsoft have announced on the OneDrive Blog that "OneDrive delivers unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 subscribers." This is really something warranting a closer look.

No comments: