Thursday, October 16, 2014

More about Ubuntu 14.04

 Well, I finished toying with the idea I mentioned yesterday. Took the plunge, removed Ubuntu from my VirtualBox environment and installed it as a dual-boot on my Windows-7 laptop!

All went as swimmingly as the VirtualBox from Oracle installation. It found my location (which means it found my internet connection and GPS worked) and my sound-hardware right off -- no need to point it anywhere as in the installation I remember from all those years ago.

 Once I'd completed almost all the options of installation (successfully), it asked me to choose a computer name, username and password, which I did (quite egoistically, as you can see!), but chose the option to "Require my password to log in" rather than the default "Log in automatically." That's just me being suspiciously paranoid, (or paranoically suspicious -- if there is such a word!)


Having finally installed updates from the internet and finished "cleaning up", the system then asked me to reboot, signifying another successful setup!

 I logged in after that, downloaded and installed the available anti-virus (Clam) from the Software Centre, updated a couple more programs, and there you have it. A fully functional (did I mention "free") and reasonably secure operating system.

I did notice, though,  the same up-front legal declaration similar to a declaration regarding Windows 10 Tech Preview. This one indicated that, if one chose to search through it's "Dash" option for locally-installed programs or from the internet, one's keystrokes would be logged and sent back to the developers for test purposes. This default, however, could be turned off in the Privacy settings, so I promptly did so.


Of course, this installation is just for my own test-purposes, so I'm not going to key in any security or privacy stuff. So I'll go ahead and explore some more...

No comments: