Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Office for Mac -- a New Version?

A couple of days ago, Macworld wrote here that the next Microsoft Office for Mac was due out in the near future. This appears to confirm what I recall reading somewhere -- that the next Office for Mac would appear by the end of 2014.

I was naturally quite excited about it, because I've been waiting for the next release ever since the 2011 version (released in 2010 and updated periodically.)

On their post, Macworld included a link to cnbeta.com which recently published "what it claimed were screenshots of Microsoft's next edition of Office for the Mac." I took a look and I must say, they look quite real, showing Outlook's user interface is designed quite near to the current Mac's OS -- Yosemite.

Macworld reports that "cnBeta.com also cited “Outlook 16” as the application’s formal name, implying Microsoft has skipped a version..." This is probably speculation, and based on Microsoft's "skipping" a version of its upcoming OS release from 8 to 10.

Whenever it comes, and whatever its implications in terms of costing, I for one -- as I mentioned earlier -- am looking forward to this new release; just to see how it works with Yosemite and OneDrive.

Incidentally, I had briefly written here, Microsoft have announced on the OneDrive Blog that "OneDrive delivers unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 subscribers." What will this mean to Office for Mac?

Only time will tell...

No comments: