Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Apple Pay and AliPay

This morning I chanced upon a CNBC article with the headline: "Jack Ma is tired, and doesn't like being rich" And I thought, echoing the CNBC post, "The richest man in China is unhappy?"

For the few who don't know, Jack Ma is the Founder and Executive Chairman of Alibaba. CNBC also reported here on Sep 23, that he had now become the richest man in China. Alibaba is not the Amazon of China, despite what we may have read elsewhere. "Amazon and eBay are e-commerce companies, and Alibaba is not an e-commerce company," said Jack Ma last year. "Alibaba helps others to do e-commerce. We do not sell things."

Ma recently claimed he has not been happy; being his country's richest man, to him, is "a great pain."
According to CNBC, Ma said, "This month I'm not very happy -- I think too much pressure. I try to make myself happy no, because I know that if I'm not happy my colleagues are not happy, and my shareholders are not happy, and my customers are not happy."

Meanwhile, though, it looks as though Alibaba and Mr Ma may become even richer, if his talks with Apple end up in a partnership.(via MacRumors and Apple Insider -- to quote just two articles.)

MacRumors, quoting an Alibaba executive and The Wall Street Journal, said "... the Chinese e-commerce company and Apple are currently in talks over a partnership to provide a payments solution for China." Details, apparently, are being discussed.

Should Alipay (Alibaba's third-party online payment solution -- reputed to be China's leading third-party online payment solution) integrate with Apple Pay, it could help Apple expand its presence in China. Apple Insider too reported, "After officials from both Apple and Alibaba publicly expressed interest in forging a possible mobile payment deal, Alibaba confirmed on Tuesday that it is currently in negotiations to bring Apple Pay to China." It was "...suggested that an Apple Pay-Alipay deal could use Alibaba to provide back-end services for Apple Pay, and users would pay for transactions with money from their Alipay accounts..." the Apple Insider article continued.

Today, however, readers of the CNBC article on LinkedIn commented, (sample below) many of them tongue-in-cheek: "Money in excess can always be donated."
"I would be happy to take 1 or 2 million dollars off your hands. If it lessens your burden."
"He can send some money this way, I can help him that situation."
"I'd rather be stressed and wealthy, than stressed and poor."
"Please hire me."

I was, however, intrigued to read one commenter who said, "I see a humble man."

Well, that's a new thought...

(Screenshot composite from images on Apple Pay and AliPay)

No comments: