Sunday, November 2, 2014

Dark Mode in Yosemite -- Nice, But ...

I have always had a liking for a darker appearance of my desktop -- be it Windows, Ubuntu, or the Apple Mac OS -- as far back as I can remember. The first thing I recall doing after getting a new system or OS was to tweak it so that it appeared in darker hues -- Menubar, Taskbar or Dock; Wallpaper, Menus ... the whole tweakable lot. With my Mac, however, apart from the Graphite theme and my own personal desktop picture, one couldn't do much without resorting to third party apps or tweaks, and this I was reluctant to do.

That's why I was reasonably happy to learn that one could turn on a "Dark Mode" in the current Mac OS -- 10.10, Yosemite. Apple Insider has a clear article here on how to activate it, so I will not dwell on it in too much detail. Merely quoting Apple Insider, "While a seemingly minor addition, Apple's inclusion of a so-called "Dark Mode" in OS X Yosemite, which basically flips the translucent menu bar and dock from light gray to black, answers the call of many longtime Mac users..." about sums it up for me.

Hold on, though! My Menubar seemed to be missing something after I turned on Dark Mode. Puzzled, I turned it off and back on again. And then it struck me -- Where's My OneDrive Icon?

... Where's My OneDrive Menubar Icon?

Apparently, according to Apple Insider, "...most third-party apps are left unchanged. Because most menu bar icons come in black, or at least feature black borders, Apple's system applies a sliver of white on the bottom edge of each graphic." I was quite prepared to accept this, but there was no white on the OneDrive icon -- at least on my MBP.

I know I can dig into OneDrive's icons folder and change all 32 of the dark icons there to white; but, as I said earlier, I'm not prepared to meddle too much with any OS myself -- especially one that is working quite well otherwise.

Also, while not a huge "bug" or indeed a "slight" on either Yosemite or OneDrive, it is an annoyance and, until either Microsoft OneDrive or Apple help out by tweaking something themselves, I guess I'll live with a guess-and-click (instead of a point-and-click) to access my OneDrive's drop-down menu for now.


No comments: