Sunday, November 9, 2014

Outllook for Mac: My iMap Puzzle

The other day I read a quite humorous post by Pascal Derrien on Linked-In on his "affair" as he calls it, with Outlook. I was afterwards moved to comment: "I've been using Hotmail since before Microsoft buy out. I've been using Outlook ever since it came bundled with the Office suite. Am really happy they're now one and the same. I also use Apple 's Mail. Agree with you. Where would we be without email?!"

The Outlook for Mac 2011 version, though, has a few quirks. One of which has been on my mind for ever so long. As it is too long to write as a comment in Pascal's post, I decided to make a post of my own -- with screenshots and all -- to illustrate my point.

You will notice from the first screenshot that I am hoping to create iMap sub-folders from within the Mac Outlook client, so that I can squirrel away my email neatly into pigeon-holes. It is not that easy to do. And for me at least, it has been impossible to figure out how to do it!

As always, I did extensive online research into my issue and discovered that I wasn't alone in my quest. Quite a few users had similar -- if not really identical -- needs to mine. Many knowledgeable websites, including Microsoft's own Forum, advocate clicking on the Hotmail Inbox and creating an iMap folder there. But I don't want to create a folder within my Inbox! I want it to be a separate folder, as we can do quite easily in Gmail, for instance, within Apple's Mail client.

Another Forum posting suggested clicking on "Tools > iMap Folders" on the Toolbar in the Outlook for Mac client. In my case, as the screenshot will also show. There is no such 'iMap Folders' option! I even tried going into the Preferences and having a look at the Advanced option there. As you'll note from the second screenshot, only the basic iMap folder options are there.

All of this is just one puzzle to me. I know I can go into the web interface of Outlook and do what I want there. Any folder I create there will probably show up in my Outlook for Mac client. But I don't want to risk spoiling my already-almost-functioning-as-I-want interface. Perhaps somebody out there can guide me?

Meanwhile, I'll continue to follow the saying of the wise man, who once said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"


No comments: