Friday, November 14, 2014

Microsoft Updates Office for Mac 2011

Something appears to be happening with Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. I opened up Outlook, as usual and my AutoUpdate informed me that update version 14.4.6 was available. Again, as usual, I unhesitatingly clicked 'ok' and the download (about 114MB) began.

Curious as to what the update would bring, while the download was going on, I checked out the Microsoft Office for Mac Support Page here and read that critical issues being fixed include those "... that causes a subscription to Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac to change from full retail license mode to trial mode." Also, "... that delays Outlook from reconnecting to the network after you resume a MacBook from sleep mode."

These apart, the 'Known Issues' page detailed quite a few known issues in Word 2011, Excel 2011, PowerPoint 2011, Outlook 2011, and Communicator 2011. As I was informed about the update while using Outlook 2011, I thought I'd read up on the known issues here. As these appeared to have been last updated in September 2013, I decided not to go through them in detail. Also, I have not encountered any issues since the last update.
   
Back on the Update Status page, I read "Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section." This section lists the third-party products -- Article ID: 3016338 - Last Review: November 12, 2014 - Revision: 2.0 -- applied to:

Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011
Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 Home Use Program
Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011
Microsoft Office for Mac Standard 2011
Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011
Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011
Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011
Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2011
Microsoft Word for Mac 2011

So, if you possess any of the above, this update is definitely for you.

Meanwhile, I forgot that I had OneDrive running in the background so, while attempting to install the update, the software politely asked me to close it. After I had complied, everything moved quickly and surely to completion. I now have an updated Office for Mac 2011 14.4.6. Haven't noticed anything different yet.

If I do, I'll be sure to write about it in here.

No comments: