Friday, November 7, 2014

Quota Limits: iCloud

The other day I needed to have access on the road to a particularly important email. Unfortunately, I'm one of those individuals who like to keep all my email neatly organized into folders -- Personal, Official, Writing, Drawing, etc., etc. Too organized, as it turned out; because I'd carefully stored the particular email in its allotted folder -- on my Mac! Now that was dumb!

So back home when I was meddling around with things on my Mac, I thought, "Why not move all recent email into folders on iCloud?" To me, to think is often to act. So I created folders on iCloud from within Apple's Mail client and moved all my recent email -- each to its slotted folder. I then remembered that email would count towards my meager 5GB of space so I thought, "Let's take a look at my Quota Limits." There weren't any! At least, not that I could see. No little green spirit level, showing me how much  space I had left (though each individual mailbox did show me how much I'd used.) Search as I might, I just couldn't discover how much space was allotted to me to use within mail, Perhaps, as far as Apple was concerned, I could use the whole of my 5GB for email and nothing else. I couldn't accept this, as I needed space for Music, Photos and what not -- (and I just can't afford to buy additional space.)

I turned to Gmail instead and created a few dummy folders there, moving a few emails into each to see if it would work. Guess what? It did!

Here's the screenshot of what I'd expected to see with iCloud ... but didn't.

"Never mind," I thought. "The Gmail option has suited me."

For now...

No comments: