Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Nostalgia, Thy Name is BlackBerry 8800

In the news today (sourced from The Independent -- post by Jamie Dunkley and Macrumors -- post by Mitchel Broussard -- both on Nov 25) is an interesting item: BlackBerry is offering its customers up to $550 to switch from their iPhones to the BlackBerry Passport, expected to launch as early as December this year. (Un)fortunately, this 'BlackBerry Trade Up' program is being offered only in the US and Canada and covers only iPhones 4S upwards.

BlackBerry's offer is another go at regaining at least a little bit of its lost global market share which has allegedly fallen to less than 1 percent.

I wonder if I will ever consider going back to my old beloved device which I would use along with my 'original iPhone' way back in 2007-2009. Yep, those were the days when I would use the BlackBerry 8800 for 'work' and the 'original iPhone' for 'personal' stuff. The 8800 was so easy to clean and repair, too, and this site was one of my favorites, when I needed to clean the trackball (anybody remember those?) or the inside of my screen when I'd forgotten all those fingerprints I'd left behind! By contrast, the 'original iPhone' was almost beyond my capability for a long time until I purchased the required 'kit' for disassembly and managed to replace my own 'on-off' switch which had somehow stopped working.

Oh yes, I enjoyed tinkering around with those 'legacy' phones back in the day.

Sadly, they're both sitting in some drawer somewhere at home, hopefully protected from dust by the plastic bags I've wrapped them in.

No comments: