Thursday, November 20, 2014

iOS 8.1.1: Follow-up

iPhone 4S running iOS 8.1.1
I briefly mentioned in this post that both Yosemite and iOS 8 had been upgraded. With regard to iOS 8.1.1, I stated that there appeared to be "...an improvement in speed of operations on both -- Yosemite and my iPhone, including a tad more smoothness in handling things."

I thought I'd do a follow up post on iOS 8.1.1 which seems to bear out -- on my iPhone 4S at least -- Apple's promise of "...increased stability and performance improvements." I did notice improved responsiveness and consistency over the previous builds (iOS 8 and 8.1), although I must admit iOS 7 'felt' smoother.

For me, scrolling between pages and within multiple 'screens' flows quite smoothly, compared to iOS8. There isn't any 'sticking' the like of which I'd been experiencing earlier. It isn't anything very great -- merely a minor annoyance -- and yet, the fact that I'd noticed it meant that others would have too and Apple, as usual, has responded to its customers' voices quite quickly.

I suppose others will have different experiences. All I can guess is that I have relatively few apps on my iDevices, and -- in order to 'help' my operations -- I close each one (double-click on Home button; swipe-up) almost as soon as I've finished using it, even though this shouldn't strictly be necessary, according to many. Force of habit, I guess.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the long-term speed and stability I now enjoy. In fact, iOS 8.1.1 -- for me -- appears more stable and performs well although I have, perforce, a meagre 512MB of RAM on my iPhone 4S.

I did notice, however that my service provider's signal still goes 'off the air' showing the dreaded 'SOS only' where five bars should be. At those times, my callers complain they receive a 'device switched off' message when they try to call me.

I briefly reported this here while my device was running iOS 8.0.2. But, perhaps, this is the fault of the service provider?

Only time will tell.

No comments: