Sunday, November 16, 2014

What's New With Outlook for Mac -- the Office 365 Release...

As I wrote here last month, Microsoft has issued a new version of Outlook for the Mac -- currently available only to Office 365 subscribers. As I am not yet an Office 365 subscriber, I must, of course, first check out what to look forward to in the new version of Office, to be issued -- possibly in the second half of 2015. The new version only works on Macs running OS X between Mavericks (10.9.4) and Yosemite -- or later, whenever that may be released.

Accordingly I scoured the net for more information (as I briefly mentioned, I've always been a Hotmail -> Outlook user, whether on Windows or now, on my Mac, and am thus interested), and found this clear article (with screenshots and all) published by Macworld.

Changes, write Macworld, are few. Hmm. The cosmetic ones that interested me were just a new Theme -- quoting Macworld: "...In line with Apple’s Yosemite design, the new Outlook’s interface is flatter, uses gray more extensively than solid black, features slimmer fonts, and has removed the color from folder and mailbox icons in the sidebar. It also discards the yellow theme from Outlook 2011 in favor of the blue and white tones Microsoft now favors for its Outlook products..." -- and Signatures for each account (not that I have many of these, but still...) Digging deeper, (although these are not really 'cosmetic' changes,) what could interest me, I thought, was Macworld's claim that the new Outlook showed improvement in both stability and speed. This is something I would really like, I thought.

Microsoft have apparently removed the import/export function -- meaning no contacts export, for one. The old 'drag-and-drop' of your mailboxes from Outlook to the desktop as mbox archives, still remains, though. Further, while import of olm or PST archives is still possible, old Entourage archives is not. Thankfully, to me, Sync Services functionality is no longer supported.

Having said all the above and stability and speed notwithstanding, as there don't appear to be too many changes of interest to me now, I guess I'll wait for the new release of Office for Mac in the latter half of 2015 and stick to my existing 2011 version.

No comments: